Thursday, September 11, 2008

I remember

I remember where I was when the Challenger blew up.

I remember where I was when Diana died.

I remember where I was when JFK Jr.'s plane went down.

And I remember where I was when 9/11 happened.

And I can 't believe it has been 7 years...


7 years ago today, I was supposed to get on a plane - my entire company, then SmithKline Beehcam, was holding a conference in Los Vegas. I'd never been to Vegas.

I was in the shower about 5:45 am. Dave was still in bed listening to Howard Stern on the radio. I remember hearing him turn on the TV. I remember he came into the bathroom and said "I don't think your plane will be on time today, Kel, or you may not be going anywhere at all."

I remember at first, no on knew what was happening. I put on make-up, dried my hair and finished packing. All the while, the news was on, but the enormity of the attacks had not set in yet, to anyone. I remember exactly what I was wearing that day, right down to my shoes. Funny how that stuff sticks with you.

A short time later, my co worker Chris Zerwas was in the drive way to pick me up. As I recall, we still thought maybe we should head to the airport. One more check on the news. The second plane had hit, the Pentagon had been hit. We were going nowhere. I think I easily spent 12 hours on the couch that day watching news coverage over and over and over.

We didn't know anyone who died in the 9/11 attack, but we didn't have to. It was still horrific and tragic and sad. I still remember every detail of that day.

What do you remember? Leave a comment below if you so desire...

2 comments:

The Wright Group said...

I remember turning on the Today show and after seeing both the World Trade towers and the Pentagon on fire I called to Ronny (in the shower) that I thought our country was being attacked. I remember watching the 2nd tower falling as it was happening, crying, and then having to leave for work. School had just started and that was by far the hardest day I've ever had to teach. Some of the 6 year olds knew what had happened and were telling the others in their 6 year old hyperbole way, and trying to calm them while I was sad and terrified myself was awful. I wasn't able to watch any more news until the kids left that afternoon when all of us teachers met and saw Afghanistan being bombed. I was like you, Kell - I just remember everything that day - every horrible moment.

LatteLover said...

I was teaching...third grade at the time. Actually, I was in a meeting in my classroom and it was before school started. The kids were already on the playground waiting for the morning bell. One teacher came in and turned on the TV. We watched in horror. I called Chris, and he was at home still. We were NOT allowed to turn on our TVs once the kids came in. So whenever any of us had the kids out of the room at a specials class, the TV was on and we were glued to it. There were rumors that school would be closed early (it wasn't). Later, the principal came in to each room to talk with the class. The next day, the kids had LOTS of questions. Obviously, many of them had gone home, promptly turned on the TV unsupervised, and watched all of the horrific coverage. They asked me why people would jump out of a building that high. What on earth do you say to an 8 year old? That was a difficult start to the school year...