Monday, October 6, 2008

And Mom of the Year goes to...

Me! Anyone other than me!

It was a frantic afternoon. I picked Nate up from school at 3:05pm with Ian in tow and busted a move to my 3:20 doctor appointment where Dave met us in the parking lot fresh from on-call time for a quick kid-swap.
I arrived home about 4:40 just as Dave was preparing to leave for band practice. The boys were hyper and immediately Nate starts peppering me with info. about a birthday party he was invited to at school.
"Mom mom mom, Craig invited me to his birthday party and it is today"
"Uh huh. Who is Craig?"
"He is my new friend, at school. And today is his birthday. And he is having a party."
"Hmmmm," my brain starts reeling. Another mom did ask me if we got invited and I had said no. I never got an email/phone call/invite...that I knew of.
"Moooooom, when is the party? He says he sent me an invite. It's toooooday!"

Flash back to getting Saturday's mail. Super Saturday. Lots of mail. Lots of junk mail. Probably had Friday's mail in it too. Sorted it into two piles, must find the piles. OK, not in pile a., the bill pile. Let's check pile b., the postcard/catalog/junk pile. Vietnam veterans of America, d-dish.com, Salvation Army, Pump it up, Shutterfly, PCC...oh shit, Pump it Up. No way!

It's now 5pm and the party started at 4:15 way on the other side of Beaverton. Best case scenario we can be there for the last 15 minutes, red faced, embarrassed, sad and giftless. Way to go mom! Guess I won't be winning mom of the year this year!

"Hey boys, anyone want to go to Papa's Pizza...."

No comments: