Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our thoughts on today


What an amazing an interesting day. Definitely one for the history books, and the baby books -aka blog at this house. Today was one of those days where I was intent on having a memory of where I was - as in, where was I when the Challenger blew, on 9/11, on the day Diana died. I think it is interesting to remember all the little details of those days, and how they stick with you.

Today was Red, White and Blue day at Holy Trinity. I guess Nate could have worn his uniform, since the school colors are red, white, and blue, but he was given the chance to 'dress freely' and that he did. Right down to his shoes (blue) socks (white) and undies (red with white stripes). Ian went as batman. I suppose I could infer some kind of connection between superheros and the 44th President of the Untied States, but really, it was just about wearing a mask and a cape.

So I dropped Ian off at school at 8:55am, hearing that they were running 15 minutes behind in the ceremony I thought I would have time to make it to the gym and jump on a treadmill, but no such luck. Shortly after pulling out of the lot I hear them announcing the Chief Justice to swear in Biden and knew I was out of luck. I was about 45 seconds from my dear friend Lisa's house so I hit speed dial and stepped on the gas and crashed in on her during Yo YO Ma, just in time to see the swearing in.

Nate and I watched it again tonight (HT showed it for grades 3-8 only). Interesting to hear the perspective of a 5 year old. "Push pause mom, I can't see the bible. How do you know it was Lincoln's? Is Lincoln on the penny or the dollar. Who was the first president? Did you know grandma made fake money once with Lincoln on it? Do we know anyone there?" (yes, we do, Aunt Cindy) We promptly texted Aunt Cindy and Nate peppered her with questions mostly concerned with whether or not she got one of those tiny flags everyone was waving (no, but she got a button) and why can't we see her on tv and next time, he advised, she should try to stand closer so we can see her on tv next to the President.

He gets that it's a big deal that this is the first "brown" president, but not why quite yet. And there at two "brown" kids in his class but they are just like everyone else and Thien even knows as much about Pokemon as Andrew. Don't you just love this generation?

No comments: